Followers

Thursday 26 July 2012

13 weeks post open heart surgery 1

Good morning everyone, Are we all excited about the Olympics opening ceremony tomorrow evening? I'm looking forward to being able to watch all the Olympic events and am looking at this a one of the positives of being in hospital. What's your favourite event? Is anyone going? Please email me with pics or comments at claire@chesterfitness.co.uk and I'll get them on here. Update on the old health front... I had another TOE yesterday and the heart is under the same stress as last week which means the bacteria haven't done any further damage and so the surgeons and microbiologists have decided that it's best to keep me on 3 to 4 more weeks worth of strong IV antibiotics to really blitz these pesky bacteria and then operate then, when I stand a minimised risk of another infection (omg, don't think I could go through it a 3rd time in less than 6 months) The other choice I now have to make is what valve to have. Option 1- cows pericardium valve (this is the ne I currently have). This is not really an option because it hasn't worked this time. Option 2 - mechanical valve. Tic toc tic toc... If I choose this, u will hear me before u see me as this valve is noted for its sound and this could be soooo annoying when trying to sleep, or indeed watching a film, or taking an exam, ha ha, or being n a plane next to someone, I'll end up being accused of having a bomb on me he he he. The other more serious complications of a mechanical valve are that you can't ' binge drink' :-( Now I'm not a binge drinker but I do like a good night out with friends and am partial to the odd after party he he, but these means that all that has to stop. So think I'm gonna become a yogi, body builder, walker, dog lover, traveller business extraordinaire. It also means it complicates the option of having babies, but to be honest, I think ve come to the conclusion that this will not be a part of my life and maybe will consider adoption in the future! Or like I say, I'm gonna just have loads of dogs and become the crazy dog woman that all villages have. Warfrin also means you have to avoid certain foods high in vitamin K and also sports such as skiing, mountain biking, contact boxing, and 50 shades of grey 'hard limits' ;-) The pros of the mechanical valve mean I wouldn't have to have another operation for 20-30 years if all goes well. Option 3 - human heart valve and ascending aorta transplant. This is probably the option I'm going to go for as it means there is less risk of a reoccurring infection and I can drink and basically lead a normal life, but the massive deisadvantage is I would need the operation doing again in 10 years time. Decisions decisions!!! What would you choose?? Ultimately it's in the surgeons hands and he has said when he opens up my chest and looks at the heart he will decide on the day! They have confirmed they will take pictures of the op for me..... Looking forward to hearing from you all soon Claire xx

1 comment:

  1. Hiya, sounds like they're taking care of you ok. What a decision to make! Personally I woulkd go for the mechanical BUT I don't drink really so nights out wouldn't be a problem to me. Also I like the sound of the length of time until it has to be done again. I hope you make the right decision for you though :)
    I'm actually looking forward to the olympics but not sure how much I'll get to see what with this job! Of course I want to see the opening ceremony but have a job on right slap bang in the middle of it! Nevermind, it's all money and exposure to people so I can't complain. Are you going to be able to see it? Hopefully you have a tv in your room?
    Zoe XXX

    ReplyDelete